Convoy S2+ (Micro Arc Oxidation, Nichia 519a, 3000K) Review
In this video, I review the Convoy S2+ in MAO (Micro Arc Oxidation). This is a new type of coating that is being used on some flashlights and should exhibit superior durability than normal hard anodizing. I got my S2+ with a Nichia 519a LED in 3000K (warm). Is this coating worth the hype? Watch my video to find out.
Get the S2+ (MAO) here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004786756090.html
BEAM SHOTS: 11:30
|Mode||Candela @5m||Throw (metres)||Mode||CCT (K)||CRI (Ra)||x||y||Duv||Duv interpretation|
Support my work by purchasing recommended products here (affiliate link): https://www.amazon.com/shop/watercolourmentor
This flashlight sample was sent to me by Convoy. I was not paid to do this review. All opinions are my own.
Convoy S2+ Transcript
Build quality, and disassembly:
• Convoy offers the best quality-to-price ratio. I maintain that, especially for some of their smaller lights like this one. Flawless finish and machining. It feels like ceramic?
• You can modify this light easily. Unsealed.
LED, Lens, Bezel, and Reflector
• The 519A is one of the best LEDs to use in a professional setting. Comes in various tints from 2700K – 5700. 90+ CRI.
• AR Glass lens with OP reflector. Simple bezel. LED centered perfectly.
Size and comparison:
• 11.7cm X 2.4cm
• SC31 Pro, E51C, FC-12, Reylight Pineapple Mini, etc.
Retention and carry:
• Fits easily in a pocket and the lanyard is a handy addition.
• No pocket clip. Only fits one with a thin retaining ring. You can buy them separately from Convoy for a few dollars.
User interface, modes, and operation:
• Mode memory on/off.
• UI selection of 12 groups. Some prefer fewer groups but I like the different options. Memories once off, even when the battery is taken out.
• Change modes by half-pressing once on. 20 taps, mode selection.
Batteries and charging:
• Takes both flat tops and button tops 18650 cells. Battery included for a few extra dollars.
• No USB charging. Need external charger.
Performance (beam profile, lumens, and run times):
• 162m throw on high
CRI/CCT (Opple Light Master Pro 3):
What I liked/didn’t like:
• Convoy provides the best value at this price point in my opinion. You give up onboard USB charging but it’s worth it for the excellent build quality and performance.
• Choices…! There are so many configurations you can buy the S2+ in. Colors, LEDs, two drivers, there’s even a 21700 cell version. Most manufacturers offer two-color tints at most. I love the 3000K, which helps greatly on foggy nights and is easy on the eyes.
• Considerations: the white finish marks easily if you have it knocking around with other objects. It mostly cleans off with alcohol wipes. No chips or scratches.
• Would have liked an included pocket clip but at this price point that’s acceptable and you can buy one separately.
This is one of the best EDC lights for flashlight beginners and enthusiasts. The high number of options in this model, low price point, and excellent build quality. I like how all the technical specs are made clear and you know exactly what you’re getting. Highly recommended.