Convoy S21E XHP50.3 HI: Best Value EDC Flashlight with Sustained High Output?
I picked up one of these from Convoy recently – it’s the S21E with XHP50.3 HI. Running at 3A on high, this light produces 2000+ lumens with relatively little heat compared to other smaller emitters like the SST40/SFT40. I think this is one of the best bang-for-buck Convoy lights out there, especially if you don’t mind the 21700 form factor. The links below are to the Convoy Official Store on AliExpress – the cheapest place you can get them and I can vouch for them in terms of reliability and reasonable delivery time (these are non-affiliate links).
Get the S21E (XHP50.3 HI): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005494845595.html
Get the S21E (SST40/SFT40/519A):
Please support my work and receive discounts by purchasing recommended products here (affiliate links below):
All Discount Codes (Master Spreadsheet):
My Amazon Store:
Convoy S21E – XHP50.3 HI: Review
General thoughts after a week of usage/size comparison/practicality/interesting things
• I think this is hands down, one of the best value Convoy lights out there for a beginner or enthusiast. The value you get is incredible – all you need is to add a battery. This light is a great 21700 EDC if you don’t mind the slight increase in diameter. It’s roughly the same length as the S2+ but with the upgraded XHP50.3HI, you get a heck of an increase in output and throw… not to mention efficiency. It fits nicely in my pocket, though you can definitely feel the difference compared to an S2+. It also comes in a variety of different colors!
• Comparison with other lights
Overall Construction, LED, lens, bezel, and reflector
• The S21E has smooth anodizing, I got mine in green and the finish is flawless. I like the fine knurling. Machining is excellent with no imperfections. I’m always impressed with the level of quality Convoy manages to achieve at a lower price point. The light is operated via a side switch button – it’s semi-transparent and requires a firm press to activate. The last thing you want is a mushy or easily pressed button, as it will turn on and burn a hole in your pocket.
• XHP 50.3HI – my favorite of this 50.3 series. This produces one of the nicest beams when paired with the OP reflector. Best of both worlds in terms of flood and throw. I like the added touch of the stainless steel bezel. It can be unscrewed like everything else on Convoy lights. Takes a 21700 cells.
UI – modes
- click the button —— the flashlight is turned on with last brightness —— press the button, brightness ramping up —— release and press the button again, brightness ramping down
- flashlight off, press the button —— moonlight mode 0.01A (0.2%) [This brightness will not be remembered]
- flashlight on or off, 2-click the button —— turbo 100%
- flashlight off,3-click the button —— strobe
- flashlight off,4-click the button —— tactical mode, only 100%,4-click the button again to quit tactical mode.
- flashlight off,5-click the button —— voltage detection (* means “flash” , *** pause * means 3.7V, )
- flashlight off,6-click the button —— normal ramping mode switch to 4modes 1%-10%-40%-100%
- flashlight off,10-click the button —— Lock mode, The flashlight will flash once under any operation, which means the flashlight is locked.10-click the button again to quit lock mode, Please note that this is the only way to unlock.
Performance – total output, beam profile, longevity, practicality
• Ceiling bounce test, CCT, CRI
• One of my favorite beams, even though I’m more of a fan of SMO reflectors. Nice blended hotspot and lots of spills. Practical beam. Can be used up close. Impressive runtime and heat management on higher modes (40/100%).
|Convoy S21E (XHP50.3 @ 3A)||Measured with Opple Light Master Pro – figures based on switch on|
|Mode||Candela @5m||Throw (metres)||CRI (Ra)||CCT (K)|
|1%||175||26||No reading||No reading|
• A little larger in the pocket – but you get added runtime of 21700
• No battery included but you can select the option to include one for a few dollars. I recommend that. No USB-C charging cable is included. But those are everywhere now and you probably have one around the house to charge your phone.
• No tail switch. But the side switch feels sturdy.
This is the perfect budget light for everyday, walking, around the house, EDC.